The benefits of the XML Infinity System
To fully appreciate the difference XML and the XML Infinity Platform can make to your content consider the following:
- Development costs: For an average web site that has a news content management tool, over 60% of the total development costs will be associated with building "add/edit/delete" functionality to make the news work.
- Change costs: In a database view of content management to add a new field you will need to get a DBA to make the database change then a programer to change the CMS and then change the front end as well for the display to the user. This takes time and may have substantial costs involved.
- Content fragmentation: Because of the development costs as indicated above, some of your site content will be in one format and some in another. This leads to fragmentation and over time becomes more costly to maintain and redevelop if needed.
- Periodic Redesign: A web site, just like a house, needs a "freshen up" every once in a while to update your branding, bring elements in line with new best practices and update portions of the design. If you have a traditionally designed site this is a costly exercise because of the number of pages that need to be updated manually - hence it doesn't get done and the site starts to look dated and perform less well.
- Multi-channel delivery: The means of accessing the Internet is becoming cheaper and more diverse all the time with pretty much every new mobile phone being able to get online and the meteoric rise of devices like the "blackberry" providing access to a mobile workforce. Can you view your web site on a mobile phone? It is predicted that by 2010 80% of web users will use their phone as their primary point of web access rather than their computer
The benefits of the XML Infinity CMS
Given all the truisms above, the XML Infinity CMS benefits your business and the web component of it in the following ways:
- Less coding: The XML Infinity CMS already knows how to create, edit and delete XML at a generalised level so we can get busy designing the "language model" of your business content and XML Infinity does the rest. Likewise, changes are done to the CMS content model rather than to a CMS directly so changes are much faster to realise than normal [and hence less costly as well].
- Ease of content modification: At some point you will want to change the way your content is modelled. All that needs to be changed is the information model and the CMS will affect the changes immediately.
- Template independence: Your content is exactly that - content - and it is entirely separate to your design.
If you want to have different looks for different users [mobile versus PC for example] then you just cast the same content into different end formats. You can even import your XML content into other applications such as quark for offline promotional material as well!
- Content fragmentation is reduced [or even eliminated]: All of your content can be managed in one place in a single, open format. This means should you wish to move it elsewhere or redesign how it is presented it is very easy to do so. Archiving and restoration is easy as well as everything is together rather than scattered around various systems that may or may not exist in years to come. XML has already stood the test of time and will be around for a long time yet.
- You control your content: Unlike many developers, we want to enable you to manage your content and site. Because many sections of an average site are not able to be modified this means a steady trickle of small, but costly changes to your site.
- Open standards: XML and the XSD schemas that we use are all open standards. As such, if you decide that you want to take your content elsewhere we can give you all of your base XML data and you can reuse it.
- CMS improvements over time: With a normal CMS if you want an improvement made to it you'll need to get it built and it will cost you directly. With XML Infinity, because you are licensing our technology, you will get upgrades to the core CMS functionality for free as we extend our systems.*
*Note that CMS upgrades are only applicable to hosted and managed licences not one-off technology purchases.
- Integration benefits: Many other business packages are starting to use XML [at least as an exportable format]. As such you could have them place content directly onto your site in the same format as the rest of your content allowing it to be integrated and displayed seamlessly.
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership: At every point through the development and maintenance stage, XML Infinity will lower your costs compared to a standard database managed site.
Not only will your initial costs be lower due to quicker prototyping and development times, your ongoing costs will be lower as well. Notably this is because all of your content will be managed by you, meaning an end to that constant trickle of costly small changes that you'll need done by your developer.
Contact us for more info
We would be the first company to say that the Internet is making communications easier and making virtual teams of people more simple to manage, however there is something inherently "right" about sitting down with a client working through a strategy to solve a problem rather than doing it exclusively by phone and email. We pride ourselves on working with our clients in very close partnership - our "one size doesn't fit all" mantra isn't just to do with how a CMS functions, it's to do with the very nature of the way our client's organisations operate. Read more >>
This afternoon www.board-worx.com was launched after being developed using the XML Infinity Integral server. The Board Worx website is the most extended site currently managed by the XML Infinity System with over two dozen different product lines and over two thousand products currently managed within the system. This figure is set to grow significantly through 2008 as the summer season bring a constant stream of new products onto the site. Read more >>